Hello I am creating a shmup and would like to procedurally create obstacles like Atarti 2600’s River Raid: River Raid (Atari 2600) gameplay - YouTube
The only idea I have now is to create some blocks on the left and right but not sure how to connect them to make it continuous, a solid endless wall in the left (mirrored on the rigth). Any ideas?
Another thing is, I am going to change position and width of the walls procedurally but the problems is, if I change the witdh/size, it won’t update the collision points, any idea on how to do this?
Thank you very much for your help
A few notes to help you work out how to do this:
- Make the horizontal centre of the screen, that is the x position, 0 (this will make mirroring a tad easier)
- Make one set of blocks for the right side.Use the flip horizontal option to draw it on the left.
- When you draw a block at x,y, draw the flipped block at -x, y
- You only need 2 blocks with appropriate hit boxes (you are will need to do some flipping and rotating)
- straight up (a plain square if you like)
- one with a diagonal edge (a triangle)
- Because the blocks have hitboxes, you don’t need to concern yourself with collision points - they’re already generated for you.
- Place the blocks at block height spacing above each other
Does this help in a way?
Thanks, this really really helps, I am going to work on it tonight.
Very nice idea.