Program multiple teams with customizable loadouts to battle in auto battler?

I have found a post that did something similar but I am having trouble with my end. I think they know something about variables that I am missing.

I would like to do something akin to Dynasty Warriors but top down and you equip your main character and the supporting units. I want to have at least 2 other teams on the field and I am trying to not make a new sprite for each thing. I would like to make one unit that could be used by any number of teams and they battle it out.

So far for choosing teams I have used a collision event to place units on a team. I have variables for my scene and for my object but I am learning more on how they interact. I thought I had it all figured out when I assigned everything to update the object variable but that apparently applies to all objects that are that object.

I am going to watch the helperwesley tutorial where they added health bars to the units, maybe that will help guide me. If you have any suggestions please let me know. As a side note here is the first topic I found. Different teams, same object - #12 by Reborn