Rope like object

Hi guys,

I’m not sure if this is even possible in GD, but I was thinking about having an object acting like a rope that is attached to two points on either side of a valley or something, and having it curve/bend upon contact.

My guess would probably be to many short parts of the rope and link them together somehow using the Joints functionality. I’ve never used this before however, so I haven’t figured out how to set it up yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

There’s a Joint functionality in GD? :confused:

The closest thing to this effect right now is the skeleton extension : [url][Extension][1.0.1] Objet squelette animable]
It’s still in WIP, mind you.

So, for the time being, you should forget about a rope like object. Or replace it with a pre-calculed animation you can scale vertically to make it “bend” more or less. Not sure of the final effect. Probably ugly. :stuck_out_tongue:

The extension will not provide any physics support. It’s just make for animations.

You can find it under the Physics automatism actions.

Yep. We will need to move the actor along the animation, which might be quite a pain to do.

Ooohhhhh…

I never thought about searching for this in the actions. I always believed any possible condition or action would be available/hinted in the automatism object itself.
So there were some hidden functions… :mrgreen:
THIS colors me interested.

Hehe, yeah, I basically found it completely at random myself. It could be useful if it does what I think it does, but as I said - I haven’t really figured it out yet.

I never tought that someone could miss the new actions/conditions/expressions that appears when using an automatism. Maybe I should make them more visible, but I do not know how… Maybe using specific icons for these new categories.

Maybe writing a little reminder in the physics properties window ( “other advanced features available in event’s actions” ), so anyone would go take a look in the condition/action to see what’s more.