[Solved] Pi π should be available as a mathematical tool

I don’t need to explain why pi is important in geometry and can’t always be substituted with 180 or 3.14159, I was a little surprised to find that it’s not available in GDevelop as a mathmatical tool.

2 Likes

Yes, if you want developers to take time to add a feature, you need to explain why you need it. Please give a specific case where you need it and how you would use it.

The John Machin’s formula is the next:
PI = 16arctg(1/5) - 4arctg(1/239)
At the start of your game, you affect the result to global variable PI.
No need that Developers work on that.

3 Likes

It would be useful to me to have pi added to GDevelop because I can’t do what I need to because of the difference in results of using Machin’s pi and actual pi. I don’t know how complicated it is to add pi in, but it does seem like a shortcoming not to have it.

The screenshot shows the values of x, y and h (theta) with green underlines for pi and red underlines for Machin pi (VarPi).

The screenshot is from an online Python editor with pi imported from the math library. So if I can do that Python stuff, can I do what I need in javascript? I don’t really want to find out, I think it would complicate things beyond my capabilities and interests.

Really there is no Pi?
Let me add this!

Edit: I just added Pi.
Soon available (After GDevelop 5.0.141)

4 Likes