[Solved] Sprite Masking - Mario 64 Death

Greetings,

I am having a bit of difficulty with getting the masking extension to work how I need it to and was hoping someone could shed some light on what I am doing wrong.

What I am trying to accomplish can be seen below:

I have the following objects in the project:

• The background image.
  • The background mask (Black)
  • The masking sprite (Diamond)

Using the following code:

If I have the masking sprite as a white diamond I get the following effect:

If I have the masking sprite diamond transparent and and fill in the outside with white I get:

The above is close to what I want, however due to me scaling down the image to 0 you see the background image.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly apricated.

@Ruhan toyed around with blending modes as layer effects.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion Slash, unfortunately using the blend effect results in the same issue when using the scale tween :frowning:

You can use a black sprite for hide the rest of the screen with some action and 4 black sprite you can easily do it.

Or you drop the image, and you do everything with shape painter. It will require a bit more math for the diamond shape.
You can just draw a full screen in black, the diamond in white and use the shape painter object instead your sprite mask.

If someone give a result with shape painter object in an extension it can be cool to submit it, and it can be a very cool extension for transitions!

1 Like

You can use a black sprite for hide the rest of the screen with some action and 4 black sprite you can easily do it.

You make it sound so easy (goes back and implements this)… ok so maybe it was that easy /facepalm. Yea that work around is working great in the test project.

Or you drop the image, and you do everything with shape painter. It will require a bit more math for the diamond shape.

The diamond shape was a just a test. The actual silhouette isn’t a basic shape.

To anyone curious, I just created 2 horizontal objects (scene_width x 10), two vertical objects (scene_height x 10) and adjusted their points to scale/change size in the correct direction.
Placed them on the edge of the scene window and scaled them up whilst I scaled down the mask object.