Unlock a level (scene) by completing the previous one

Hi!
I’m currently making a simple plataform game which in order to finish it you have to complete all 10 levels.
I already made the 10 levels (10 scenes), and they are all accessible through the Menu scene. My question is: how can I keep only the first level unlocked and the other 9 ones locked? Or how can I unlock the next level by completing the previous level?
I know I can make like ‘if the player collides with an object at the end of the level, then changes the scene1 to scene2’. But I don’t know how to keep only the scene1 available/unlocked to access through the menu (right now you can access any of the 10 scenes through the menu).
I’ve searched a lot but couldn’t find any tutorial about this :confused:
Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi, try using global variables.

At the end of each scene, update the variables with your conditions that control completion of the level…

SceneOne … set global variable unlock_one = 1
SceneTwo … set global variable unlock_two = 1

and so on. In this case, the 1 stands for “true”.

Then on your menu scene events, set a style or animation for your buttons to show that it’s locked or maybe change the text to gray (I don’t know which one you’re using), but don’t link it to a scene unless…

Condition: global variable unlock_two = 1
Sub-Conditions:

• Cursor touch is on the button or text for level 2
    – Left mouse button is down

Action: Scene 2 link

I hope this doesn’t sound too complicated and I think you will need to include the setting of the ‘unlocked’ variable from the previous scene at the beginning of the next one. :\

2 Likes

i would jump at the end of scene to next and add +1 to a global variable level, then at menu scene unlock as entries as this variable value.
Then you can store this value for next time you run the game

2 Likes

thanks to both Phenomena and xisco! It really helped me.

1 Like

In case someone need one, I did share an example here (GDevelop5_level-selection-unlock.zip):

please tell me in brief…:pray::pray::pray:

please tell me in brief bro