Using PixiJS Texture Compression to Enhance Performance

Hello, I read that GDevelop has graphical limitations because it uses PixiJS. Specifically, it’s advised to avoid sprites larger than 2000x2000, as PixiJS decompresses every image (including JPGs), making the sprite’s size go up to about twelve megabytes.

Searching online, I found that PixiJS has compression modes that can reduce the size of PNGs and JPGs by almost five times.

I wanted to know if GDevelop already uses this compression, or if it would be possible to add it somehow.

Here is the link:
[PixiJS API Documentation]

In the meantime… Happy New Year!

2 Likes

This is the function to compress textures in PixiJS and support Retina displays.

Does anyone know if GDevelop utilizes this, or if it could be used to improve performance?

Hello!

Don’t self-bump threads, please.

I can definitely say GDevelop doesn’t utilize this as it wasn’t available until very late PixiJS version 6, and while GDevelop has upgraded to PixiJS 7 it was only recently (and the renderer upgrades are just that, upgrades to the renderer, they do not necessarily mean that GDevelop will adapt/utilize any new renderer features).

Could it improve performance? Maybe, but ONLY in situations where you are using massive textures or so many unique textures it is filling out the user’s GPU ram entirely, which is generally not recommended in game dev at all (Unrelated to GDevelop), and even in those situations only would it mostly only impact load times.

It would also break compatibility as not all GPUs support the same texture formats, if any.

Does that mean it would/wouldn’t be implemented? No, but that’ll be up to the devs to determine if they’re going to add it.

1 Like

Thanks, now i under stand better how Gdevelop works!