So the game I want to make is a top down, air combat game like 1942 or 1943 for the NES (screen continuously scrolls down as you move your plane around, enemies fly in or appear on the ground). It would use modern aircraft though. Already have my own aircraft and terrain tile sprites made.
The main points of it would be:
- Can use 2 (or maybe 3) different weapons (gun with infinite ammo, bombs and missiles with limited amount)
- Can use different aircraft (incl. different paint schemes)
- Brief, non animated cutscenes between missions
- Enemies fire back (their missiles can be dodged or thrown off by a flare)
- Music/ SFX
It would also be nice to have these:
- Additional aircraft/paint schemes that can be unlocked by finishing missions
- boss battle (aircraft or ship that requires numerous hits to shoot down)
- Friendly AI aircraft that fly by at the end of, or during a mission
- missiles that can target 4 targets at once
- Save/continue option (incl. redoing missions after unlocking all aircraft)
Here’s an example of the sprites and what I envision the game looking like:
My problem is putting all of this stuff together. I didn’t find any tutorials for anything like this, so which ones/templates would I need?