Water Distortion Effect/Behaviour; Anyone?

• What would you like to request:

I really need to see a water distortion effect and or behaviour; which allows for an animated and or not; image of any object type; be it tile-map, sprite; etc; distorted visually in numerically and or formulaic assigned flows; beyond displacement effect (as it’s quite basic and static)and dynamic water (since it appears very 2d platformer orientated); like this effect and or behaviour can control every aspect of a water ripple and how many of them, how fast and or slow each pulse is; how each ripple waves including the rotation of each pulse and so on; this would allow for water distortion to happen; making for pretty convincing water; since water; moves in a moment to moment reaction with varied distortion on the surface; all the time…; a correctly defined reflection addition to this feature would also be appreciated… perhaps even go further and give it other adjustments to this reflection aspect as well.

To summarise an amazing highly-configurable in a enjoyable and simple manner; surface distortion effect that can replicate the effects of water waves, water pulses, water ripples and so on; with reflections; complimentary.

Imagine being able to take a animated green glitter slime picture and turning it into a river distortion with wicked effects on it.

• Why you are requesting it:

Because; I’ve got a angled 2d simulator game; where water is in it and it’s so basic and boring; like a 2d animated tile-map and it looks like lines moving left and right with some slight positioning change drawn in and it bothered me so much… ; tried to figure out a solution and its hellish; my best bet; so far is too apply multitude of situations onto the animating tile-map and hope it looks; correct and or make a video of an other-worldly water-river; pixelate it and place it underneath the land…

• Supporting evidence:

Water_Issue

See how the water looks pretty meh and boring; there’s very little distortion; if this was an NES game or something then maybe; that’s passable; but not for me; haha.

Hopefully this will; get added in the future; as it’s such an amazing feature to have.

Hello!

Good news: This has existed in the engine for years. It’s called the reflection effect. add it to your layer with the items you want to appear as if they’re in water, you set up the amount of wave magnitude, whether you want it to be reflective or not, and where you want the “water” to start.

It impacts everything on that layer, so it doesn’t matter what object types there are (sprite/tilemap/etc).

It’s called “reflection” because you can have it reflect everything above the “reflection point” (where the wave amplitude stops) or not, if you want.

Here’s a real quick preview with the platform example and some randomized settings (with reflections disabled)
https://game-previews.gdevelop.io/1723839437861-701571/index.html

1 Like

Much wholesome appreciations for expressed communications;

I’ll incline and move towards using this said; reflection effect with a much more thorough coarse eye in sproutaverse;

To see if it can work in my situation.

I’m fairly sure; tried using the reflection effect with confusing results; something along the lines of where it thought reflections should be and such; but it was way off; almost like the entire layer was flipped upside down; instead of like being actual reflections underneath area’s of land; etc

By the way the preview was fun and awesome; loved that it had sound effects; it’s a really nice example; could go into more detail if asked!

I’ll post my results!

Alright after; quite abit of fiddling and adding and removing effects; also had to fix a animated tile map - parallax issue with an extension.

Anyways managed to get it looking like this:

Water_Issue_2

It’s certainly better; looking; could still do with more obvious distortion of the pixels; so the waves are more noticeable but with more creative control; as they seem to be (very horizontal focused); would be nice to have pixel distortions that splash into each other; etc.

Another visual oddity is the motion of the player determines the speed of the horizontal waves;
(should be an option; not the default; also be customizable)
very confusing…

What do you think?

Hello, I’ve used the distortion effect in one of my projects, and this was the result:"

1 Like

@damikelmes
Looks great, mind a question?.
Which method u used to animate the moss and the water splash at the end?.
I mean do you placed each object on the scene editor or you coded em…
also have you used any effect?(wobble , anim behaviour ecc…?)

2 Likes

I used animated sprites to create the visual effects. To simulate the water reflection, I duplicated the objects, adjusted the opacity for the reflections, and applied a distortion effect to mimic the movement of the water. I also used this effect on the trees, making them sway as if in the wind, and added particles to simulate falling leaves. The other animations were done using sprites that I manually animated.

I’m revisiting this project because, at the time I first developed it, GDevelop was still limited, and I had little knowledge of the tool. Now, with the new features available and my improved understanding, I plan to redo the parts that were already completed, as well as optimize the performance, which was previously an issue on older mobile devices.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply; been all over the place…

@damikelmes

A distortion effect; can you elaborate on that?

Because reflection does distort the water; from personal experience.

If your talking about displacement then that does provide some quirky fluff.

But distortion; please elaborate on that; guess could look myself and shall.

Yes the 2 image way is a nice; quick technique of reflection; relative to bob ross; paint downward rush just with actual hardcore accuracy.

The video game is pretty awesome; reminds me of 90 cartoon vibes and early cartoon video games; etc… nickelodeon energies.

The windmill is pleasant; and artwork is defo terraria-esc

1 Like