What's your score on Wordle?

Wordle 340 4/6

:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

I struggled with this for ages, but the ah-ha moment at the end was satisfying. i was close to giving up… but on closer inspection I can now see i could have still got it wrong.

Oh, haha, I’ve never heard of

Guess it's old news now, but anyway, Wordle 339 related

algum, a tree. Alium is garlic. Ah, alarm yep, didn’t think of that.

Yes, although limited in this case I think. And cw has gone with a non MrMen starter word today.

Wordle 340 5/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

If I`m correct my last guess was “aloud”, but it wasn’t allowed.

This one was kinda fun, It didn’t leave me with a lot of options.

Wordle 340 4/6*

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

If you wonder what starter I use, I didn’t look for a good starter but Youtube “somehow” got onto the fact that I`m playing Wordle and thought let’s recommend Wordle videos. So I saw a thumbnail that said “Best Starter Word: …” and I have been using that ever since :innocent:

Youtube's Recommended Starter Word

CRANE

@Bubble You can probably tell us why this is a good starter word? :slight_smile: You seem to know these words like the back of your hand.

ES, I think it was before your time on this thread but MrMen once mentioned he watched a video on Wordle starter words. And then I went on a rant stating that I absolutely refuse to ever read or watch any helpful wordle tips, advice, strategies or anything and that it all must all come from my brain, haha. MrMen’s video was from a programming standpoint and could be more scientific than the one you watched. I looked at the recommended starter word you posted though and I disapprove of it being touted as wordle wisdom haha.

For me, c is a guess 2 letter and n a guess 3 letter if the preceding guesses have not had an impact on shaping the word. They are good letters though as they pair well with other consonants, it’s similar in structure to mine, trade. But yeah, I’d rather have t and d than c and n for my starting consonants. My first starter word was dream, had that for a few days and then changed to trade and stayed with it as t just has a lot of combinations.

I have a long history of playing a word game called Target when I was a kid which really meant thinking about the structure of words. It was make as many words of four letters or more as possible from the given letters that must include the middle letter, and find the nine letter word that was an anagram of all the letters.

It would be a competition between my parents and I of who would get the most words and who would get the nine letter word first. My dad would read out the puzzle letters from the newspaper and my mum and I would write them down and I would drive my dad crazy as I would usually get the nine letter word a few seconds after writing down the letters.

Then we would meet at a later time and compare our answers but this couldn’t happen, haha, until my dad got the nine letter word or niney as we called it, so days might go by of my dad getting frustrated trying to get it.

internet pic

I’m out of touch, haha, took me a couple of minutes to get the niney from this sample.

But anyway, yeah, it’s very very nice to hear that wordle is becoming a family event amongst you guys and hearing the little anecdotes that come up.

1 Like

I usually like these types of puzzles, unless I can’t get the word in a reasonable time (this one, btw, took me less than 15 seconds, just bragging :grin:). My oldest isn’t old enough yet to have a fair and level competition for this unfortunately - although he’s 14 and reasonably bright & clued up, he’s restricted by his vocabulary range.

Then again, maybe I should make the most of this and annihilate his ego while I still can :imp:

Wordle 341 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:

I don't give too much thought for starter words, just whatever comes to mind or happen to get inspired from others. Today's was...

CREAM

That reminded me that I hadn’t done Wordle for the day yet. I generally use one of 2 starters, depending on what I’m feeling like.

Wordle 341 4/6*

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square:

Very nice. Haha, yes I ignored the way I used to do the anagrams which was to focus on how the word ended. With this one when I saw the two v’s and made an assumption about how the word started and was stuck on that until I moved back to my tried and tested method. I was younger than 14 when I started doing the targets and read a lot, so vocab wise was pretty good. But, if he’s interested, I say just get in there and get your son thinking now.

MrMen, I know of two of your starter words and today’s wasn’t either of them.
So much yellow for so long.
Wordle 341 4/6

:yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square:

My starter word worked out well today but it was harder than I thought it would be to go from it to the answer.
Wordle 342 2/6

:green_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

That’s impressive. It would have taken quite a bit of thought to go from 2 green and a yellow to all green, because you only know 2 letters that can’t be in it.

Wordle 342 3/6*

:black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:

I was happy with my result today :blush:

Wordle 342 3/6

:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square:

Nice work on your result. I’m hoping to get a 2 guess score one day

@Bubble I love how much thought you put into these words and their structure. It sounds like algebra to me. I plunk down some words and look at letters I have already used, but never think about the letters a word has and what the chosen word does with my upcoming guesses. That’s probably why my scores kinda suck haha.

I must say I’m totally not competitive and this might demotivate my will to learn those structures. It sounds like you guys have had family events around these types of games that drive your competitive will. Today’s score has 3 of my guesses and then my wife answered the 4th. So it’s kind of my score but also hers :yum:

Wordle 342 4/6*

:white_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square:

Teamwork. How sweet? Personally, I’d be peeved, because it’s my attempt and my ego that’s at stake :smiley:

I could have had todays wordle in it in 3, reason hidden below :

Wordle 343 4/6*

:black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::green_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square:

Why possibly today's wordle in 3 (slight word spoiler, read after you've done it)?

I chose one of my 2 starters at random. It was the wrong one today. Had I used the other one, I would have had 2 green and a yellow in the first line.

Likewise. Even though it takes me longer to do than my wife and kids (most times anyway) I don’t like getting help lol.

Wordle 343 4/6

:yellow_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:

Yeah baby, two in a row. Thought I was in with a good chance after the first guess, likewise yesterday.

Update: actually, I don’t know why I didn’t use one of my standard guess two letters in the fourth position. Either I had a complete lapse and didn’t think of it or kind of pronounced it a weird way in my head and thought it wasn’t a word. Either way, bit of luck for me.

Wordle 343 2/6

:yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:

You’ve got a very healthy amount of threes, so yeah, it will happen.

Haha, yes, well as you’ve guessed I am. But I love how sweet you and your wife are.

Well if you’re getting a better score than them, then that’s what counts. Don’t see a timer on the wordle page anywhere.

Hmmm, today’s is another one of my Wordle peeves.

What's that peeve (alert - slight spoiler)?

An American word, not one used in the queen’s English.

Wordle 344 4/6*

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:

I suspect we are both aiming for a different kind of gratification :yum: I’m not that insecure about my intelligence that I need my ego stroked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But I really love playing games together.

Haha yeah, and I like seeing the struggle sometimes with karma :innocent: But today you did very good!

I’m really happy with today’s score. Instantly got into a corner that got me onto the right path.

Wordle 344 3/6*

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

I’m quite comfortable with my intelligence. It’s just that if I do something, I’d like to achieve it on my own merits, and not have help from elsewhere if I can help it. Having said that, MrWomen and & completed a puzzler together (The Neverhood) many, many moons ago. And it was very satisfying to work as a team and complete it.

1 Like

Hey, ES, remember when you found that gif of MrMen dancing? Well I used that as a reverse image search and guess what, I found another pic of MrMen, but this one actually has his pet Wordle peeves in the photo as well (or most of them) and shows MrMen about to tell them what he thinks of them.

Ooh, ES, nice one today. For me it was not a good one although I don’t share MrMen’s attitude towards it. For both guesses 3 and 4 thought I had it, but realised after that my 4th guess isn’t even a word and I got it mixed up with another one, although wordle dictionary allowed it.

Wordle 344 5/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square:

1 Like

You know, when I was young we never made fun of our elders. We respected them, for their wisdom and pearls of life advice. Unlike you young whipper-snappers of today, poking fun at geriatrics as if you have a right to it.