What's your score on Wordle?

Ooh, a new starter word for you, MrMen.

That’s very observant of you to notice. I did my hair too :smiley:

I changed it after I watched a video about programming an app to calculate the best words based on the letters available. They suggested a starting word using 5 letters that are most commonly used.

Interestingly, the program averaged around 3.4 attempts to get the correct word. Which seems not much different to most people.

Haha, just change your hair at the side a little bit and it’ll be fine.

I’ve set myself some Bubble rules. I must never look at starter word or gameplay strategies, I want it to be just my brainwork only. And I must always play in hard mode. And I must never write the guessed words down to help me with the next guess.

It’s happened…

And what does hard mode do (or not do)?

Oh nooo. I decided to check on any new info on Wordle stuff for the first time since the sale this morning and when I saw the migration was starting and not all was going well, I got in an absolute panic, haha and copied my current stats to my saved version.
Just checked, my local storage hasn’t changed, but I haven’t refreshed the page either. But I checked in a different browser and yeah, it’s happened for me too.

Hard mode: So, I usually play with a friend on a call and this is what my friend sometimes does:
1st guess: starter word
2nd/3rd guess: even if there were yellow and/or greens in the previous lines, does all new letters for the second guess to maximise the opportunities.

In hard mode, if you have yellow/green letters, you MUST use those letters in subsequent guesses. I didn’t actually turn hard mode on, but it’s the way I play. I guess it depends on what your goals are, to get it in as few guesses as possible or to guarantee getting it.

Wow, today’s was a toughie. My stats have automatically transferred and it’s the same word as the saved version, so no changes, it’s all looking fine although I wish they’d kept the stats button location, it’s off to the corner now.
Wordle 238 5/6

:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Nah, just a bad day guessing :stuck_out_tongue: I’m guessing the change in stats button is to keep the page looking balanced. Aesthetics probably does affect how much someone likes a web page.

Wordle 238 4/6

:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square:

No, for me it’s about reducing mouse travel time/distance. The stats close button and the share button are central but to open the stats means a ‘trip’ over to the far right. I still have my original wordle tab open and that stats open button is also central which, for me, is just a more user friendly layout.

Put a request in to add a keyboard shortcut that either opens the stats page, or puts the result to clipboard.

Yes those are good ideas that would work with a physical keyboard and extra onscreen help info. I haven’t played today but just tested - clicking anywhere outside the stats box will close it. If I do suggest anything to them it will only be after they’ve had time to fine tune it themselves.

Noted, haha. Next time I’ll say tough for me

Back on track
Wordle 239 3/6

:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square:

I know the feeling :

Wordle 240 3/6

:green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:

Well done, Eek, was a tough one for me today
Wordle 240 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

Wordle 241 3/6

:black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:

So, decided to check my computer saved version and pop today’s guesses in. And it wasn’t the same word. I think the divergence has only happened in the last few days. Anyway, so I went ahead and did 241 of the original saved version and it was terrible. it’s not even a word, some word used in ancient Greece that has become the basis for longer words in English. I’ll check again tomorrow, perhaps the Times changed just that one as it was such a bad choice, we shall see.

Here is the answer to the original Wordle site puzzle 241

Agora

Wordle 242 3/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square:

Yes, so today’s original saved answer is the same as yesterday’s NYT answer. So yeah, NYT rightly skipped the ridiculous word and is now one day ahead.

Wordle 242 3/6

:green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

And soon it’ll diverge even more, as more words are considered too difficult?

Well I wouldn’t call an ancient Greek word difficult. I’d call it completely unsuitable and what was the creator thinking? And I hope that that word was the creator’s only insane moment.

Excruciating

Wordle 243 5/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square:

That’s more than 5 letters :smiley:

Wordle 243 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::green_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

…

*Awful :smiley: