[WIP] AirConsole local multiplayer extension

Hello everyone,

I’m not sure if you know about airconsole.com which allows you to play (and develop) local multiplayer games. I won’t go into details about how it works, you can read their dev docs, but in short you can use your computer (or smart tv) as a screen and your mobile phone(s) for controllers.

I’m pretty good with JS, but not that good to make a full game with native JS. So I started thinking about using GDevelop to make local multiplayer games and I started fiddling with new extension this past weekend. So far I was able to to use one scene for the screen and another scene for the controller.

screen scene

controller scene

note: I’ve added AirConsole behavior to the text component, don’t let it confuse you. Once finished I’ll make a proper demo project which will be using separate object for AirConsole events.

AirConsole simulator running GDevelop game (web exported)

It’s just bare foundational work, I managed to send a message from controller to screen, and back from screen to controller. I want to make it easy to use, but I barely know AirConsole API and gdjs API, so this will be slow progress. I’m also full time employed and have very little time to work on this, mostly over weekends, so please like this message if you’d like to see this finished :slight_smile:

Also, if you think you can help in any way, let me know.

3 Likes

I got some time to work a little bit on this yesterday after work. I managed to make a simple eventing system on top of (text) messages so you now can send separate events and screen can respond differently to them. Here’s a basic joystick 8 directional movement:

screen events

controller events

and here’s a video from AirConsole simulator:

1 Like