Add Lighting and shading for 3D objects

Hello, I have a suggestion for a future update of GDevelop 3D feature. I feel that adding a lighting and shading system would greatly improve the 3D feature.

• A lighting and shading system, so that GDevelop 3D doesn’t feel like pseudo 3D. A global ambient shadow system, where you can edit the color, intensity, and other factors of the shadows. And 3D lights to be used on objects that emit light, such as a light bulb or a torch.

I think this feature could improve GDevelop 3D. If lighting and shading were added, it would make it possible to create games with more complete graphics. There could be events to change the ambient lighting to simulate day and night cycle, and the color of the shadows could be changed. For example, the shadows could be a specific color instead of black. Some stylized games would require this type of shading for better adaptation to the color palette. Maybe for now, it would be more appropriate to create shadows with a more cel shading or toon style, rather than a plastic shader.

16 Likes

Hello Durk!
Thank you for your message. I see that you make a list of multiple feature demands. I’ve added this rule to the welcoming message on the forum: create only one feature request per topic (it’s just better for classification) Welcome to the User Feedback channel!.

Would you mind editing this topic to make it only one feature?
As for 3D animations, you might want to add your feedback here: Add 3d object animation. Remember to describe on which context you’re requesting your features as well as examples of your workflow. :slight_smile:

thank you!

Sure, I’ll edit the theme to only one feature at time. I think the lighting and shading system that I mentioned before would be a good choice, as it would make the 3D features of the engine more complete. And I’m sorry if I added more than one feature, I didn’t know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second the request for a 3D light source. Currently, I’m using layer shadows to give the illusion of a light source but it isn’t quite as good as the real thing. Thank you.

2 Likes

@Morgan would you please “like” the original comment to vote for the feature?
For now, that is the only way that we can quantify the votes.
Thank you!

Yes, of course! Thank you.

2 Likes