Different colors and Icons for variables

Hi, I work in a high school: our students use Gdevelop once a week.

Their biggest problem, at first, is choosing correctly from the (very chaotic) list of Conditions.

In particular, they are lost among global variables, scene variables, object variables, global Booleans, scene Booleans and object Booleans, global strings, scene strings and object strings…

It can be solved like this:

1. assigning a color for globals, booleans and scene variables
  2. Changing icon by type

Here’s an example (this would help me too!!!)

Original! :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Colored :blush:

Icons! :laughing:
String
string

Booleans
bool

Variables
var

5 Likes

We should join forces

Also i would go with

String
ABC

Boolean
0/1 instead of 1/0
Or
T/F

Number
123 is perfectly fine

3 Likes

Thank you! Your suggestions are great and I prefer them to mine.

I also like the idea of ​​coloring the icons like in the link you sent.

1 Like

You know if give them colors in menu list then we should also have corresponding coloring in events sheet

And that would be nail in the coffin of users ever again confusing variable types

IF that would be even possible i would shove in variable type icon here

Like let’s say 1st you have that VAR icon on the left then next would be icon type of variable like you have in events sheet here
And after it description like text number boolean variable

1 Like

I think coloring and changing the icons is a great idea. It really doesn’t impact long time users and only furthers accessibility for newer users or in your case Ondaluce, your students.

1 Like

Edit: Actually, it is better to keep them as separate topics (even if they’re soooo closely related). I’m now following them as separate tickets. :+1:t3:

Hello @Ondaluce

Thank you for your topic.
I’m letting you know that I am closing and merging this topic with Different color icons for variable per type because that one has one more vote. :slight_smile:

From now on, please add your comments on that other topic so we don’t have any duplicates (refer to ⭐ Welcome to the User Feedback channel! for the rules).
Thank you for your help!

2 Likes