Help creating "tight" platformer with Physics2.0

As a part of research for my ninja rope platformer, I am investigating viability of using Physics2.0 for platforming.

I am trying to make the controls feel similar to original Super Mario Bros, however, all my attempts end in the controls feeling either too floaty or too heavy. I am just feeling lost with the amount of variables to setup for the object and world.

I think one of my issues might be the resolution I am working on (320x240 in this case), maybe Physics2.0/Box2D is not great choice for such resolution?

Anyway, I am asking the community for help. Hereā€™s my current experiment, what values I should use for the world and player to make this feel more tight?

(also, if anyone made a platformer with physics in GD (any version) I would love to take a peek).

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I just started using GDevelop, so donā€™t take anything to be true from me, but from what I know generally, Physics engines such as this one, which is based on the Box2D libs, are not meant for such perfect and precise 8-bit like games. Myself Iā€™m also a fan of Nintendo-era games but the modern physics engines will try to emulate a lot more things, making the world feel not so simple and arcade-like. Therefore if a Mario clone is what you want, Iā€™d suggest sticking to the classical movement options such as making your own or using GDevelopā€™s ā€œplatformā€ behaviors which are predefined for most of your needs.

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I kinda gave up on this project for time being. I wanted to use physics 2.0 because I wanted to include a grappling hook and couldnā€™t crack it to work within the confines of the built-in gdevelop platformer behavior. One day I might come back to it and see if I can make it work :wink:

1 Like

no worries. Hehe you are way too advanced in GDevelop compared to how I am :smiley: as you can see in this topic, this is what Iā€™m struggling with in Physics 2.0: