[Solved] G-Develop Glitches?

Hi,

The dialogue issue has been solved by this adjustment in my code, thank you!
I have this issue with it now, where this comes up instead of my options?

I can still select one out of the three with one of the keys I have assigned it, eg. 1 for a, but this comes up instead of
Option 1
Option 2
Option 3

It’s because of this action:

Anything in quotes is literally taken as a string/text, and not evaluated. “DialogueTree::VerticalOptionsList()” in quotes means to just change the text to those letters/characters. To evaluate it instead and get the value, remove the quotes.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help, I have got this working now. Will be in touch if any other issues arise, however as of the moment I just want to say I appreciate the assistance.

Thank you for your time

1 Like

Hi,

I’m encountering a new issue with my game, this is coming up on my screen now and I am unable to fix it?

Please let me know if anything is possible to be done.

Thank you!

It looks like a dialogue issue. Have you changed any of your game’s dialogue files?

Hi,

I have been adjusting my dialogue files on my yarn tree, yes, I was checking it out this morning trying to add on more to certain boxes and it was fine then, I believe (I can’t recall if I checked on the preview window at the time, so it may have been occurring since then) but, when I checked it, this evening on the same device and my other laptop when I saved the changes I was making, this error popped up in the preview window.

Can you revert it back to a previous version of the dialogue file to see if that works?

Hi,

G-Develop doesn’t let me revert back in version history without having a pro plan subscription unfortunately, and I can’t fully recall everything I’ve changed in my yarn tree. I got rid of what I can remember I added yesterday morning, however, this glitch is still occurring on my screen.

Any help is appreciated.

Can you post the contents of the dialogue file?

For backup, I’d suggest using GitHub (if your school will allow access to that on their network).

Hi,

Here is my first branch: (Start)
<>
Hi!
<>
Hello. How are you doing today?
[[ I am good. How are you? |Renewables]]
[[ So-so today, don’t know. How are you? |Bad :(]]

Which could lead to this, (Bad :()
<>
I am doing bad. Do not want to talk. Goodbye!
<>
Ohh ok!! Farewell.

Or, this, (Renewables):
<< Player >>
I am good good. Do you want to hear about Renewables, the solution or about Nuclear Energy?
<>
Good to hear! I’m glad. Also ooh, I don’t! Do tell!!
[[ Renewables are a form of energy which require lots of land and money, but, don’t use fossil fuels to harm our earth! |Renewables]]
[[ Do you know the solution? |Balanced]]
[[ W |NuclearEnergy]]

Leading to, (NuclearEnergy):
<>
Nuclear energy is non-renewable, doesn’t use fossil fuels either, and is cost-efficient, however, can be dangerous if earthquakes, explosions or leakages happen.
<>
Oh my! That does sound scary!!

Or, (Balanced):
<>
I think the best way to have power is having a balanced one, with renewable power sources and nuclear. This way we can afford power and have the best of both worlds with our current technology.
<>
You learn something new every day! Thanks for teaching me!! :slight_smile:

Also, thank you for the advice I’ll look into Github and other options.

It’s the space followed by the colon and parenthesis (" :(") after the identifier bad in the start dialogue that are causing the issue. Remove them, and it should work.

1 Like

Hi,

Rather than a glitch this time I have a few questions on how to do things with my game

First of all, following the tutorial video linked from the first post of this forum, I initially decided not to include nametags like ‘WorriedPixels’ did, but after gathering feedback from a friend she told me it’s a good idea to make it clear whose talking when between the player, and the NPC in my game. I made sprite icons of the players via. piskel on G-Develop, per the image linked below but wanted to know what I can do/what I may be doing wrong in my code to stop it from alternating between the icons when showing whose talking? I had indicated in the dialogue, having ‘You:’ written in front of the text implied as the player but want to know if I have to use a different method around this to get it working as I want it?

Additionally, is there a way to add colour to my text via. yarn? I attempted this yesterday with the pallete icon but it just added that as text to my text here on screen instead-

Another question I have though, is, is it possible to have instructions which pop up on screen for a few seconds before it disappears? I looked into this yesterday and found a forum, linked here, [SOLVED] How to make a Text Disappear after some seconds? - #2 by Frank22 mentioning a timer but I was unable to figure this out? As a current temporary solution within my skill-level, I have left it as a text box which remains on screen on an asset store sign board within my level.

Any help for these matters is much appreciated! I will link my code in the following post.

Here is a src of my current code, also:

What’s occurring now, with the addition of this nametag stuff, (named Player or NPC icon) is my dialogue does not pop up on screen?

Have you had a look at the GDevelop yarn wiki documentation about the command text line type? It looks like just the thing you need, and the example there seems to address exactly what you’re after.

Hi,

I appreciate that. I’ve taken a look into this, however, continue to deal with an issue, where if I add in this code, my dialogue box will then refuse to show up during the preview of my game? It acts as if it will refuse to work if it is there, as without all of that, the dialogue itself is fine.

I’ve linked below my code incase there’s something there?

Also, I haven’t mentioned this before, but within my game, I wanted to include three alternate endings and dependent on the player’s choices they would get one of these scenes, but I can only find one YouTube video from 7 years ago, linked here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv8nzV4z7Ww but I am unsure how I’d apply this to my style of game? So want to know of any advice if you have any!

Any help is appreciated!

What does the dialogue file look like, and what are the dialogue sprite names?

Hi,

The dialogue file looks like this:
<< avatar player >>
You: Hi!
<< avatar NPC >>
Hello. May I teach you about Renewable Energy, Nuclear, or, the solution today?
[[You: I would like to hear about Renewable Energy please. |Renewables]]
[[You: What is Nuclear Power?|Nuclear]]
[[You: I’m interested in the modern day solution! |Solution]]

Which leads to,
<< avatar NPC >>
Renewable Energy is environmentally friendly, expensive, and a ‘clean’ source of power. It is commonly seen and used in Solar Panels for homes, Hydro dams, wind turbines, and more!! Lots of countries use it, it’s our way of cutting down on fossil fuels.
<< avatar player >>
You: That sounds really interesting! Why do we use it if it’s expensive though?
<< avatar NPC >>
Because it’s one of the only sources of power our modern day technology has access to. It helps us mitigate aka. cut down on the effects of climate change by implementing them.

Or,
<< avatar NPC >>
Nuclear energy is non-renewable, does not use fossil fuels and is cost-efficient, however, can cause fall out, sicknesses and decay to our land here on earth if natural disasters hit!
<< avatar player >>
You: Oh my! That does sound scary!! Why is it used then?
<< avatar NPC >>
Because despite its risks, it’s easier to access, and power plants last 20-40 years which is ideal! There is also special procedures put in place for items high contamination all the way to low which come into contact with the source.
<< avatar NPC >>
By putting the items deep into the ground, disposing of the waste in oceans or landfill etc, we can protect ourselves and continue using this power.
<< avatar player >>
You: Despite knowing that, it does concern me this is our current technology. Are there any solutions I wonder?

Or,
<< avatar NPC >>
I think the solution is to have power in a balanced manner, with renewable power sources and nuclear. This way we can afford power and have the best of both worlds with our current technology.
<< avatar player >>
You: That makes sense, thanks for teaching me!! :slight_smile:

I’ve named the sprites avatar and then NPC or player, per the code that was recommended from the wiki you shared, but they’re named, “avatar_player” or “avatar_NPC”

[edited by MrMen] - added space between “<<” and the word “avatar” so it displays correctly.

I’ve edited your post, becaue the double double greater and less than signs hid the words. Adding a space between the less than sign and the word Avatar (In this forum only, not in the actual file) displays it correctly. In the image below, the red boxes show a a space between “<” and “Avatar”, while the green boxes show the space missing:

Anyway, onto your issue.

To make it simple, create a new sprite and name it someting like “TalkingAvatar”. Add 2 sprite animations to it, one named “NPC” with the NPC image, and the other named “player” with the player image.

Then modify the events, replacing avatar_player with TalkingAvatar and removing the bottom condition and action:

Hi,

Thank you for that explanation with the first point! I will keep it noted.

Anyway, I have given your advice a go with the second point however the dialogue box issue where it won’t show up now, is still occurring. I will leave attached my code in case there is something there.

Also, are you aware of any good explanation resources to make a respawn not checkpoint per say, but if my player falls off the platform for instance, to bring them back a tutorial of sorts for this? I have been trying to look but have struggled to find things.

Thank you for your time

You’re checking the command and changing the image when the dialogue is not running. Try shifting the command condition and the change animation action up a couple of events, so they’re in the “Dialogue is running” event.