Ask questions to get help using GDevelop and about game development in general.
If you want to post a question, we need some additional Informations to be able to help.
- What you want to do?
- What is the issue you are facing?
- Make sure you gave a try by yourself before asking for help. Please add a screenshot (Not a photo!) of the events you have written to your post, for context.
- If you are writing about not knowing how to approach your problem, try to break it down into simpler task that you can carry out easily with events (see below).
Breaking down a problem:
Let’s say you want to create a gun in your game and do not know how to approach it. Asking here how to do a gun will most likely yield limited answers of limited usefulness - such a broad game mechanic can be understood in many different ways, and listing them all is too big an endeavor for anyone to do.
It is your job to break it down a higher level problem into simple logic fits your vision and can be expressed through events: After all, only you know exactly what you want your game to become.
For example, the mechanic “a gun” could be broken down by one like this:
- When the key X is pressed, you want a bullet to be created.
- In events: When key X is pressed, create bullet object
- A bullet should be shot in the direction of the nearest enemy
- In events: When a bullet is created, pick the enemy object nearest to the player object, and rotate the bullet towards the enemy object
- A bullet should always move in the direction it was shot towards
- In events: Add a force towards the angle of the bullet to the bullet
- When an enemy or wall is hit, the bullet should be deleted
- In events: When the bullet is in collision with the BulletTarget object group, delete the bullet
- When an enemy is hit, its health variable should be decreased by 1 or 2 randomly
- In events: When the bullet is in collision with the Enemy object, remove RandomInRange(1, 2) from variable Health.
If the preview is black, stuck on the loading screen or frozen :
Press on the crashed preview Ctrl+Shift+I
A debugging menu should appear. Don’t press a second time, it sometimes takes some time to appear but pressing the key combination again will close it.
Go to the console tab, and send a screenshot of the output and most importantly the errors showing up in it (only red messages, yellow ones are not relevant).
These actions will help us a lot and spare time if you directly do this, instead of waiting for us to ask you for it. This context is crucial for everyone in the forum to be able to help. Thank you for following this advice!
and one more important thing: grammar and spelling.
you might give us as many info as we need, but to no avail if we don’t understand!
I know, English is a hard language, it isn’t the native language of mine too. surely I’m making many grammatical mistakes too. but please try to be understandable.
Is there some way to mark questions as answered? It would help others searching solutions rather than questions…
Edit: Having asked that question I notice some of the questions are prefixed with
So that could be the answer to my question.
All these title with [Solved] are manually added by me in general because i check every thread. (Yeah i’m a bit crazy to check all post every days, but when you love you didn’t count the time.)
And when i see a solution or someone said “thank you it’s working” i edit the title.
I’ve asked to @4ian an addon for it i’ve found one but for now it’s manually since 1 years :’)
Fun fact after 1 year i can now write [Solved] without see my keyboard
just joined this community, thank you for making it awesome!
Hello, I’ve created a platform game, but I need to create a functional score that counts up 1 every time you get in collision with a coin.Then i would need the score to reset every time the player dies.
Hi, welcome. Could you please just make a new topic for your question in the forum?
How do I do it? Im new
And could someone tell me how to do it pls.
Yes I know but I need to fill a text saying why is the problem and etc.And i need to know how to reset a coin counter, which is a text, when the player dies
You don’t need to fill out the text, this is just a suggestion to communicate your problem in a way that people in the forum understand your problem better. You can just erase the text before writing your question. Please just make a new topic, it is really not that difficult.
Hello! I need help with power ups in my top down shooter game. I made it so that when the player touches the power up he/she will get a 1shot boost (add 100 dmg), how do I make it so that in five seconds the power up stops and goes back to its original dmg?
Hi @Bradolf, as I wrote to Carlitos before, could you please just make a new topic for your question? If you scroll up a bit you will see that this topic is not intended for these requests, it is for basic information on the ‘How do I…?’-area of the forum.
Edit: I just noticed that you made another post shortly after this one.
Ok, sorry Im new here
Hi @CandyCadet, if you check this topic you will see that it is not intended to ask specific ‘how to’-questions. You can also see that I have told other users the same before.
There is an entire ‘how to’-section in the forum and your chances to get a reply are much higher if you make a new topic there instead of burying your question in a topic that is intended as general information. So, please make a separate topic for your question in the ‘how to’-section.
my sprite is rotating towards my mouse i want it to flip when it goes behind it